This is one of my favorite days of the year, when the promise of long, lazy summer months still lay ahead like miles of country road. These days, summer feels a little less lazy than it did in my formative years, and definitely more sober than in recent memory, and for the first time since I rediscovered biking about eight years ago, I'll be staying off my wheels this season (not worth the risk of falling, sadly), but I'll still be making room for some old — and new — favorite things. In no particular order, here's some of what I'm looking forward to this summer:
* Tending to the little urban garden I'm growing on my porch (this is the first time I've planted flower boxes and such, and the added color really gives me a boost when I sit out there and watch the summer sun rise and fall over Brooklyn.)
* Picnics with Drew and friends in Prospect Park.
* Decorating the nursery.
* Visiting family and friends in Chicago and St. Louis next month.
* Road tripping upstate with friends for a country wedding.
* Not sucking in my belly at the beach.
* Baking some pies.
* Quiet mornings on the porch with the cats.
* Feeling Baby kick (he's kicking more and more).
* Concerts in the park.
* Coney Island.
* Stolen sips of prosecco.
* Hearing about Drew's driving lessons.
* Walks through the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
* Scoring deals at stoop sales.
* Watching the new season of "Breaking Bad."
* Bird-watching from the back porch (are you noticing a trend?)
And speaking of the back porch, here I am out there on Sunday. I'm 22 weeks pregnant here and just barely starting to show:
Hope you all have a lovely summer solstice and are able to cross off a few things from your own list of summer favorites.